Its National Flag Day!!! What’s it all about?
-Flag Day was first established by President Woodrow Wilson in 1914. Wilson was also the first president to recognize Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, the latter of which is this Sunday. However, Flag Day didn’t officially become established until 1949 by an act of Congress
– The first American flag was created out of the Second Continental Congress’ resolution the Flag Act of 1777.
– The origins of the first American flag are unknown, but many historians believe New Jersey Congressman Francis Hopkinson designed it and seamstress Betsy Ross sewed it.
– In July 1969, Neil Armstrong placed the American flag on the moon, the first flag flown in space.
– Only Pennsylvania, the state where the first American flag was sewn, recognizes Flag Day as a legal state holiday.
– The American flag’s nickname “Old Glory” came from William Driver, a sea captain from Massachusetts who gave the nickname to his 10-by-17 ft. flag. Driver’s flag, which can be seen at the National Museum of American History, is said to have survived several attempts to deface it during the Civil War.
If you’d like information about our staff or services, please visit Burns Family Dentistry!